Thursday, August 11, 2011

Part III - TeenARTS Campers Express Themselves - Show Tonight!

In this final installment, two campers will share their love of theatre and dance. See more from the campers at their end of camp show called "Express Yourself" TONIGHT at 7:30pm at the HSA Theatre.

Meet: Gabrielle Newland- Babson and Jazz Jones
Theatre and Dance at HSA TeenARTS Summer Intensive



Gabrielle Newland-
Babson, Age 13


HI! My name is Gabby and I have been attending the Harlem School of the Arts TeenARTS this summer. My fellow campers and I are taking many different art classes such as theater. Theater is one of my favorite classes because it forces you to think in terms of using your mind and your body to be/create another character. It also challenges us to use our emotions to become or act out one of our own creations.

Mr. Willie Teacher (our theater teacher) has been working with us. He has us play many different theater games such as the question game. We form two lines that become two teams. There will be two people facing each other, asking random questions and when one of the two people run out of questions to ask (hesitates) that person will go to the end of the line of the person that did not hesitate (the winner). Games such as this help us develop better improvisation skills, thinking on the spot. They also help us become better actors and/or become more interested in the idea of acting and performing on stage. Theater, as well as other art classes, will be in the final camp show called “Express Yourself”. It’s on August 11, 2011 at 7:30pm in the HSA Theater.

Jazz Jones, Age14

My Name Is Jazz Lauren Jones and I LOVE to dance. Dancing is a natural sport for me and it helps me escape any problems that I may be having that day. Dance is a great thing to do because you can never be wrong and creativity is the key. I've been dancing since I was three years old and when I get older I would like to become a choreographer and a professional dancer just like Laurie Ann Gibson and Debbie Allen. My inspirations are the Alvin Ailey American Dance Company, The Dance Theater of Harlem and of course The Harlem School of The Arts. I am a part of The Summer TeenARTs Summer Intensive Camp at HSA.

During The Summer Program here at HSA I have been able to participate in a hip hop/modern/contemporary dance class lead by Ms. Maria Mitchell. Ms. Mitchell has taught us how to count and dance in odd measure timing just like some big Artists including Lady Gaga. We are also working on an improvisation piece choreographed by The Dance Group in The Tee ARTS Summer Camp 2011.

Being a part of Teen ARTS gives you a lot of exposure into the form of Art. For example, the people in the Dance Program were given a ballet class from The Dance Theater of Harlem led by Mr. Robert Garland. The class was very fun and entertaining.

Being at HSA has been a great experience for me because it is filled with lots of fun, and the people are very nice and outgoing. At the end of camp we have a show that we come together and create using the things that we learned from our classes. It’s called Express Yourself. The show this year takes place on Thursday, August 11 at 7:30pm at our very own HSA Theater. It will be an amazing show and I think that everyone should come out and watch the accomplishments that we have achieved during our time at camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment