Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Part II - TeenARTS Campers Express Themselves

In part two of this three part series, two campers will share their introductory film experience. See more from the campers at their end of camp show called "Express Yourself" on Thursday, August 11 at 7:30pm at the HSA Theatre.

Meet: Taylor Faulds and Calaysha Byrd
Film at HSA TeenARTS Summer Intensive

Taylor Faulds, Age 13

My name is Taylor. I am part of the Harlem School of Arts 2011 TeenARTS Summer Camp Intensive in the initiative, film, which is a sub category of the TeenARTS program. I love film. We created a film called "The Nerd,” and it’s about finding your inner beauty. Now we are creating a spoof. My fellow campers in my group are in these films too. I really like our teacher, Ms. Nikyatu Jusu.

In film class, we learn the basics of a camera and how to use the editing software called Final Cut Pro. We learn about all different types of film. The films that we do are called short films which are 45 minutes or less. Documentaries are films that document life of others. We learn many other things about film, characters, and cameras, editing and more. I really enjoy being a part of TeenARTS and HSA. I love the arts and being part of HSA truly engages me in the arts and lets me explore my craft.


Calaysha Byrd, Age 12

My name is Calaysha and I love to dance. One course that I have been taking with my fellow campers is Film. We all enjoy this class and we love our teacher Ms. Nikyatu. She has taught us many things about the basics of film. We have been learning the basics of a camera and all the materials we need to make a film. One of the basics that we’ve learned is to white balance a camera. It helps the colors be more accurate. Another thing we learned was different positions of the camera— medium shot, high shot, low angle shot, a pan shot and many more. So then we decided to put our skills to the test and create a film called "The Nerd".

"The Nerd" is a Short Film that the film class has created. It consists of a girl who is known as a nerd, but then a really popular girl shows her that it’s not what's on the outside it’s what's on the inside that counts. So Pia (the nerd girl) gains confidence and then she doesn't care what anybody thinks of her. All of a sudden all of the bullies start to be nice to her and she starts to gain the attention from boys that she crushed on. Many girls were jealous of her, but to her that was just the first sign of popularity, and she lived happily ever after.

Personally I like the film class and I enjoy it so much! You can view the film that we created, "The Nerd" below.

1 comment:

  1. I love that there are great schools in Harlem like the Harlem School of the Arts teaching the next generation about the great importance of art. That's also what they're trying to do at Manna House, a small performing arts center in East Harlem that's been teaching the community about the importance of jazz for over 40 years! www.mannahousejazz.org

    ReplyDelete